My name is Brendan Ratliff - freelance composer, multi-instrumentalist, digital/new media artist, software developer and hardware hacker. I provide original, high quality soundtracks and scores for all types of new and conventional media - video games, film, TV, radio and interactive AV.
- I compose music for games, film and radio, having provided soundtracks for critically acclaimed indie games and for BBC Radio dramas, and I'm active in the demoscene/8bit/chiptune underground as Syphus.
- I do software/hardware development and teaching - interactive digital art, web development, creative apps, performance tools and AV installations.
- I've performed live chipmusic, electronic music and traditional Irish music around the world - when there's time, I still do!
- I can provide sound recording, editing and post production services to filmmakers, being able to supply my own equipment for sound op, foley and other on-location work.
- I regularly work with the awesome design company Roots & Wings Newcastle providing code and the occasional bit of consultancy for their non-profit community and education projects. We've made websites, community funding bids and even an amazing massively-multiplayer online mobile game together!
- I occasionally work in education, having taught instruments privately; delivered Key Stage 2 music syllabus in primary schools on a freelance basis; given lectures at Newcastle University's International Centre for Music Studies; and provided installation of (and training on) recording studios in secondary schoolsss.
Qualifications & Experience
- MA with Distinction in Music (musicology, composition and creative practice) from Newcastle University
- BA Hons in Music and English Literature from Newcastle University
- Grade 8 Violin (with Distinction), Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music
- Professional violinist - teaching, live performance and recording. Other instruments include piano/synths, guitar, bass, flute, tenor & low whistles, tenor banjo, mandolin, Germanic lyre.
- Composer, sound designer, sound engineer and recording engineer
- Music software developer and hardware hacker, sharing open-source code, schematics and tutorials with the community
Selected recent works:
- 'Fist of Awesome' soundtrack - critical indie game hit, available on iOS, Android, Steam (Mac and PC), Ouya and GameStick. OST available on Bandcamp.
- Score for 'Red Shoes' and 'White Snow', BBC Radio 4 dramas - details on BBC website and excerpts on Soundcloud.
- 'Pineapple Smash Crew' soundtrack - ridiculously fun Cannon Fodder-esque PC game, available on Steam with OST on Bandcamp.
- Score for 'Zurich', BBC Radio 3 play - part of Radio 3's 'The Wire' series.
If you'd like to chat about a project, or have any other queries, please get in touch -
echolevel [ a t ] gmail [ d o t ] com
You can also reach me on Twitter or various other social networks - see the links on the sidebar.